In Israel, the land of our ancestors and the bible, the site of so much conflict and so much holiness, I found something that took my breath away:
A laundromat/bar/cafe in Tel Aviv.
Leave it to the Israelis to come up with such a cutting-edge idea that leaves us all hitting ourselves, asking, “Why didn’t I invent this??”
Since I imagine most people hate doing laundry as much as I do, I’m sure we all appreciate the concept of doing something fun, like eating at a cafe, while washing our clothes.
It made me wonder: What else can you combine with a laundromat — or for that matter, the laundry room in the basement of your apartment building?
- Laundromat/arcade: Whatever quarters are left over from laundry, spend them in the pinball machine!
- Laundromat/laser tag arena: Maybe you could get the washers and dryers to glow in the dark.
- Laundromat/paint your own pottery studio: A fun way to produce more dirty laundry.
- Laundromat/classes: Why not take classes about getting stains out, folding a fitted sheet (it’s harder than you think), cooking, and other household skills, all while waiting for your whites to dry?
- Laundromat/car wash/dishwasher/shower/dog groomer: Bring everything you own (including yourself) that needs a good cleaning.
- Laundromat/gym: I’ve actually figured this one out, as the new gym in my apartment building is right next door to the laundry room. It’s absolutely brilliant and I don’t know how I used to work out or do laundry separately before.
As my calendar continues to be bursting with activity, I love doing two things at once — so anything I can do while doing laundry is a lifesaver.