I’d like to suggest that tomorrow, as families come together to celebrate Thanksgiving, let’s avoid the heavy topic of the elections altogether. What’s done is done, and while we all have a lot we can do to continue to make a difference in our world, maybe this Thanksgiving should be a time to focus on lighter topics. Not necessarily “small talk,” but just more fun topics.
If you need some ideas, I’ve compiled a list of my recommendations for topics to discuss.
Lia’s Recommended Thanksgiving Table Topic Discussion Ideas
- Podcasts. Who listens to podcasts and what are your favorites? And for the technologically challenged, how the heck do you download them?
- TV show reunions. With the highly anticipated Gilmore Girls revival coming this weekend, what other TV shows would you like to see reunited?
- Go-to recipes. I love to ask friends this theoretical question: “I’m coming over to your house in an hour for dinner. You can stop at the closest grocery store for one or two ingredients, but you basically need to whip something up that you already have in your house. What would you cook for dinner?”
- Strange allergies. A lot of people have “normal” allergies like gluten or dairy, but does anyone around our table have any particularly unusual allergies? Tell us what life is like being allergic to pickles!
- Other dream jobs. If you didn’t work in your current job, what would your dream job be?
- Thanksgiving stories. What’s your funniest Thanksgiving memory?
- Comfy clothes. What article of clothing that you own makes you feel most comfortable?
- Old items. What is the oldest item you own that you still use? For example, up until I changed my name last year, it was my library card.
- Books that changed your life. A few months ago, I wrote a blog post about the five books that changed my life. What books have changed yours?
- What’s top of mind? Everyone has a topic that’s on the top of their minds. For me, I love talking about “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up” — for a while it seemed I had no other topics of conversation. If you were to wear a name tag that said “I want to talk about ______,” what would it say, and why are you interested in it?
I hope these help fill your Thanksgiving dinners with flowing, interesting, non-divisive, non-political conversations. Happy Thanksgiving!